Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Dodd Endorses Obama, Potentially VP Candidate? (JM)

The Courant is reporting this morning that Sen. Christopher Dodd (D-CT) is coming out to endorse Obama for President. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Dodd, this doesn't change my mind, but it does make me a little comfortable. One wonders about the timing, however. There is no particularly geographic or political imperative for Dodd to come out now. Given that he is going to have to work with Hillary in the Senate very closely, should she lose, it would have seemed more prudent for him to hold off.

The only thing I would speculate is that the Obama camp has enticed him via a cabinet post or perhaps even the number two slot. I am not sure being vice president holds much attraction for Dodd, unless he is going to have Cheney-level authority. However, he makes perfect sense for Obama. He is a senior statesman with an absurd amount of foreign policy experience. Also, although I am reasonable sure this isn't going to happen, but if Lieberman we're to get the VP nod on the other side we could see a debate between CT's two senators. Either way, the timing is enough to fuel the speculation, just a little.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see how Obama can lose - after all, he will fix your computer (and more!) - See http://obamawill.com

Dan Murphy said...

Alright... I fully admit that the Obama Will website is pretty amazing. I am not even sure any of us understand quite how bizarre a cultural phenomenon Barack Obama has been...