Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Davids: Brooks and Bowie (JM)

So if there are two things I love in this world it's David Brooks and David Bowie (well probably not, but they are two things I really really like). Anyway, this morning brings a David double-dip:

David Brooks- As has bizarrely become the case lately David Brooks, once again, gives the only really coherent column I have seen all week. He discusses how Obama's essentially different type of change, bottom-up and collective, has set the tone for this election. How this campaign has never been about "change" per se; but rather about how it is to be effected. I think this is some spot on analysis, the level of empowerment Obama has given his supporters is nothing short of impressive. This has been a campaign specifically tailored for the YouTube, blagosphere, Facebook society in which we live. I remain skeptical, but Brooks' analysis of its construction is pretty excellent.

David Bowie- As you are all aware David Bowie is a huge supporter of Ron Paul. In fact, it is well known that the original lyrics of Ziggy Stardust included the lines:

Making love with his ego Ziggy sucked up into his mind
Like a leper messiah
When the kids had killed the man I had to break up the band
We should privatize schools and let the market solve

Anyway, some profoundly weird stuff. Alright, so I am mostly kidding, but wouldn't be awesome if Bowie were secretly a crazy libertarian. Instead, I have video of Bowie's Changes as done by the 2008 presidential candidates. There is no way in the world I can actually explain, so just watch:

No comments: